“Running my study in the D2D Building was a fantastic experience. Not only did I exceed my recruitment goals, but I made a lot of great connections with other researchers and members of the community who were interested in my research.”
– 2014 D2D investigator
D2D provides faculty, staff and student investigators the opportunity to recruit research participants and collect data in a highly efficient manner due to the unique access it provides to over two million fairgoers each year. Since D2D was established in 2014, fairgoer awareness of the facility has grown steadily. In 2017, a new building was constructed, now attracting 60,000+ visitors annually. The 2019 fair saw the highest number of participants enrolled: over 27,700 fairgoers participated in 55 studies.
“[D2D organizers] were responsive, helpful, and easy to work with. They made this research experience extremely positive.” -2016 D2D investigator
If you plan to apply for outside funding to cover shift fees, contact us at any time to request a letter of support for inclusion in your proposal. A Facilities Description for inclusion in your grant application may be downloaded here.
Research Services Offered
- Free admission to the State Fair (up to 4 tickets per shift);
- Furnishings, basic anthropometric equipment, and supplies;
- iPads linked to consent forms and survey instruments;
- U of M secure high-speed wireless and hardwired internet access;
- Refrigerator and freezer space for on-site sample storage;
- Guidance in obtaining IRB approval;
- Consultation on maximizing your recruitment goals, your IRB application, designing your research area, working in the state fair setting, and more;
- Compliance with state fair rules and regulations.
Feedback from investigators indicates that D2D greatly reduces recruitment costs and provides important opportunities for students and early stage investigators to kick-start pilot projects and make faster progress toward extramural funding and scientific impact.